Import rules for bringing dogs, cats and ferrets into the Republic of Cyprus
General requirements for pet’s traveling from other EU member states.
- Every animal needs to have a microchip, but the microchip needs to be applied or read before the rabies vaccination is given.
- A tattoo is another acceptable form of identification, if it was applied before the 3rd of July 2011. Otherwise, your pet will need a microchip.
- An authorized veterinarian needs to apply or read the microchip before administering the rabies vaccination. The date of reading or application needs to be written in the health certificate or passport.
- The animal needs to be at least 12 weeks old before the rabies vaccination can be given.
- The use of live modified rabies vaccines are not allowed.
The rabies vaccination establishes protective immunity after 21 days. The day of vaccination counts as day 0, not day 1, so if the vaccination was administered on the 1st of the month, the earliest it can travel is the 22nd of the month.
Your pet needs to be treated for Echinococcus within a period of not more than 120 hours and not less than 24 hours before the time of scheduled entry. It is recommended that you treat your pet with Tick and Flea treatment. As part of the pre-flight treatment, your veterinarian is required to fill out the clinical examination page in the passport with his stamp and signature.
Any pet animals entering the Republic of Cyprus needs to be at least 105 days old.
These breeds are banned from entering the Republic of Cyprus.
- Pit Bull Terrier or American Pit Bull
- Japanese Tosa or Tosa Inu
- Dogo Argentino or Argentinian Mastiff
- Fila Brasileiro or Brazilian Mastiff
All animals needs to travel in an airline approved travel crate which meets the International Air Transport Association (IATA) specifications.
The maximum number of pet’s which may enter the Republic of Cyprus with their owner or an authorised person is five, however there are some exceptions (competitions, exhibitions, sporting events or participation of training for such events) The owner or authorized person needs to provide written proof that the pet’s are registered to attend an event. The pet’s cannot be less than six months old.
The requirements for pet’s coming from third countries (not an EU member) are not listed here, but you may contact us for more information.
For inquiries, please send us an e-mail